Undergraduate Dissertation Award
Number Offered: 1 each year
Target BASES Membership Categories: Student and Graduate
Date: 30 September
Apply for this
award: Click here to download the application form
Results Available: Within 10 weeks of the application closing date
winners: Click here
Aim of the award
This award is given annually for an
outstanding undergraduate sport and/or exercise sciences dissertation made by a
BASES member who is a final year undergraduate. The prize is an
expenses paid free communications presentation at the BASES Annual Student Conference.
Expenses of up to £200 (to cover 1-day delegate fee and travel expenses) on proof of receipts will be awarded.
- The applicant must be a member of BASES.
- The applicant must be an undergraduate that graduates in this calendar
year (1 January to 31 December) completing a sport and/or exercise sciences
- The submitted work must include analysis of primary or secondary date
and cannot simply be a review of existing literature.
- Only one submission per department is permissible.
- Applications will be reviewed and judged on scientific merit,
methodological rigour and standard of presentation.
- Applications not adhering to the award criteria will not be marked.
- The decision is final in all cases and no correspondence will be entered
- These awards will not be made in the absence of submissions of
- The applicant’s project supervisor must submit 1 electronic copy of the
completed application form to the BASES Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, by
the closing date with the following statement:
I certify that the applicant
meets the award criteria and this application is supported by the Head of
Department and me.
- Attached to this e-mail should be a file containing the applicant’s name
and a condensed version of the dissertation (Up to 1,500 words maximum for
quantitative and 2,000 words maximum qualitative research reports). Both word
limits exclude the reference list at the end of the dissertation but
include all other words in the document. No abstract is
necessary. Submissions should be typed in Journal of Sports Sciences format.
- Each free communications presentation at the BASES Annual Student
Conference will normally be limited to 10 minutes followed by 5 minutes of