BASES Student Conference - 31 March - 1 April 2015
40 years of Sport and Exercise Science: A History in the Making
Follow us on Twitter @BASESStuConf15
Professor Tom Reilly (1941-2009) was an Honorary Fellow of BASES. In 2015, it will be 40 years since Tom established the first Sport Science degree in the UK. To celebrate 40 years of Sport Science at LJMU, we are delighted to host the 2015 BASES Student conference.
The conference theme is centred around how 40 years of Sport Science history has shaped what we ‘make’ and ‘do’ in the current day. It will, or course, focus on what is current in terms of modern day concepts and methods, but with an insight into how the current day practices we know today have evolved since 1975!
The BASES Student Conference 2015 will be run over two days (31 March-1 April) to deliver world-leading content to student delegates from the sport and exercise science community.
The conference will feature expert led workshops in the disciplines of sport psychology, motor control, biomechanics, physiology, nutrition and performance analysis, as well as the themes of Anti-Doping and Physical Activity. There is also a special Hot Topics in Sport Nutrition symposium sponsored by Science in Sport, with contributions from leading experts in the field, including Luc Van Loon, Robert Ketchell and Gareth Wallis. There will also be free communication and poster sessions on both conference days across the range of Sport and Exercise Science disciplines, providing student delegates with a valuable opportunity to disseminate their undergraduate and post graduate research.
There will also be pre-conference workshops on Monday30th March, which include “Developing Applied Sports Psychology in Premiership Football” led by members of the LJMU Sport Psychology staff, “Estimating Lower Limb Joint Loading – combining Ground Reaction Forces with 3D motion analysis” led by members of the LJMU Biomechanics staff and "Skeletal Muscle Structure and Performance; from the whole muscle to the Genome" led by members of the LJMU Physiology staff click here for more details.
Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to keep up-to-date with the latest developments and gain valuable insights.
Meet, share, learn
The ethos of BASES conferences is very much about the opportunity to ‘meet share and learn’. The Scientific Conference Programme Committee has worked hard to bring you a conference experience that embraces this philosophy.
- Two-day conference programme focused on the current issues relevant to sport and exercise scientists
- Pre-conference workshop day focused on some of the hot topics within sport and exercise science
- Engaging content including keynotes and invited symposium presented by experts
- Opportunities to present your research in free communication and poster sessions
- Open doors to opportunities via the largest sport and exercise science student network in the UK
- Fives BASES re-accreditation credits per day
Located close to the heart of Liverpool City centre, the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences is one of the flagships of LJMU. Supported by world-leading academics and facilities, the school has long been a beacon of excellence in the quality of its student experience, teaching and learning, public engagement and research and scholarship.
The staff are all research active in their own particular domains of expertise, and the quality of their work is reflected in the outstanding Research Excellence Framework 2014 outcome achieved by the school.
The School was ranked world-leading and second in the UK for its research into a number of areas; from tackling unhealthy lifestyles and obesity in children by adapting play areas and schools, working with Premiership football clubs, locally and across the country for performance analysis and injury prevention strategies, through to cardiac screening and cardiovascular health of athletes.
The school achieved:-
- A research output score of 96% in the 3* & 4* category
- A research environment score that was 100% 4* (world leading)
- A research impact score of 100% in the 3* & 4* category (90% 4* return)
The Byrom Street Campus, on which the Tom Reilly Building (the school’s home) is based, provides an ideal location for the event. click here for further details.
The event programme has been designed to include chances for you to network and share ideas with like-minded people as well as opportunity to relax and unwind after a hard day’s learning. As part of the two day conference package, a buffet reception and social event has been arranged for delegates on the Tuesday evening (at the end of day 1) in the Adelphi Hotel. There are many other social opportunities available in and around the city for those that have any energy left!
Present your research
The BASES Student Conference 2015 provides you with the perfect opportunity to submit and present your research.
- Share your most up-to-date findings and receive valuable feedback from colleagues
- Free communication and poster sessions available
- Meet other researchers and make valuable future contacts
- Undergraduate and postgraduate awards available
- Gain 10 BASES re-accreditation credits per presentation
The Abstract submission deadline is Friday 13th March
Sponsors and Exhibitors
- Your organisation can be part of this flagship BASES student event.
- Position your brand alongside world leading content.
- Market your academic programmes to prospective students.
Main Sponsor: Science in Sport are the main sponsor for the conference, which includes the ‘Hot Topics in Sport Nutrition’ symposium on day 1.
Workshop Sponsors: The following workshops at the conference are sponsored:-
- Sport Nutrition: Working with Elite Athletes (Sponsored by Science in Sport - day 2 only).
- Keeping sport clean: The role & responsibilities of Sport & Exercise Scientists (Sponsored by UK Anti-Doping).
- Prozone MATCHVIEWER: Insights into match analysis in football. (Sponsored by Prozone)
- Football Fun and Fitness (Sponsored by SOKKA)
- Serious games for movement (re)training: Build your own (Sponsored by Xsens)
A limited number of exhibitor spaces are available and will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. This includes:-
- Includes table and chair. Exhibitors will provide backdrops and display. Exhibition space 2m x 3m.
- Company name listed on the conference website.
- One delegate registration. Additional staff will be required to register as a delegate.
- Buffet and social event on the evening of Tuesday 31 March 2015.
- Power is not included in this price (this can be provided on request).
For details of how to book exhibitor space, please go to the ‘/Sponsors-and-Exhibitors’ page