International Conference Grants
Number Offered: 3 each year
Target BASES Membership Category: Professional
Application Closing Date: 1 March, 1 June, 1 September (each year)
Apply for this grant: Click here to download the application form
Results Available: Within a month of the application
Previous Winners: Click here
Aim of grant
International Conference Grants aim to assist researchers to present
free communications at international sport and exercise science-related
scientific conferences. Three grants for up to a total of £500 each are available.
- The applicant is a Professional Member of BASES for the past two
- The applicant is the presenting author.
- The applicant has read the Terms and Conditions of the BASES
International Conference Grants.
- The applicant can certify at the time of application that the
abstract has been accepted as a free communication presentation at the
conference detailed in the application form. Poster presentations are not
- The abstract must be the only one submitted by the applicant for
the grant. Application forms containing more than one abstract will not be
- The applicant has not submitted a BASES International Conference
Grant application within the past year.
- The applicant has not received a BASES International Conference
Grant within the past 3 years.
- The conference has not taken place and is normally outside the
- The applicant must submit the International Conference Grant
application form. Only information contained within the application form will
- Within four weeks of receiving the grant award letter, recipients shall contact Dr Claire Hitchings (email@example.com) to discuss the submission of an article for The Sport and Exercise Scientist.
- Each application is assessed against the following criteria:
calibre and relevance of the international sport and exercise science-related
- the impact and interest of the abstract;
- the applicant’s
service to BASES
|Closing Date||Applicable conferences||Results||Article submitted for TSES |
|1 June ||European College of Sport Science conference; or conferences anytime between 1 June and 30 September||End of June||2 January (Spring issue)|
|1 Sept ||The Association for Applied Sport Psychology conference; or conferences anytime between 1 October and 28 February||End of September|
21 March (Summer issue)
|1 Mar||American College of Sports Medicine conference; or conferences anytime between 1 April and 31 May||End of March|
6 June (Autumn issue)
Terms and conditions
- In making an application for a grant, the applicant agrees to
abide by each of the terms and conditions contained within this schedule, upon
and following any award of a grant.
- This schedule, together with the requirements set out in the
application guidelines and any subsequent grant offer letter, constitute the agreement
between BASES and the recipient.
- BASES international conference grants are to cover
conference registration, travel and economy flights and conference
accommodation costs only.
- The grant awarded shall not be used for any purpose other than
that stated in the grant offer letter. If a conference is cancelled or the
scheduled venue or dates of a conference change after a grant has been
allocated, then the recipient must notify BASES of the changes, so that the
award can be re-assessed.
- Only one submission per applicant is permissible in a year.
Recipients of a grant can only apply for a grant every 3 years.
- The decision is final in all cases and no correspondence will be
- Grants will not be made in the absence of submissions of sufficient
- Presenters shall use the BASES PowerPoint Title Slide .
- Within four weeks of receiving the grant award letter, recipients
of a grant shall contact Dr Claire Hitchings, firstname.lastname@example.org, to
discuss the submission of an article for consideration in The Sport and
Exercise Scientist. The emphasis of the article should be on contributing to
the continuing professional development of sport and exercise scientists by
promoting evidence-based practice. It would typically be a 2-page reflective article
highlighting what has been learnt from the process and providing practical
knowledge that readers can take away and apply. It may take the form of an article, an interview,
reflections and top tips, or include a commentary from another person. Please
do not submit an article before agreeing with Dr Claire Hitchings the focus and format of the article. Articles that are extended
research abstracts or conference reports will not be accepted. Grant recipients are advised to read the ‘Guidelines for Contributors to The Sport and Exercise Scientist ’.
- To receive the grant, recipients of a grant shall within six weeks of the conference listed in their grant award letter:
- submit by post
an expense claim form, including all receipts to Office Manager, BASES, G07 and
G08 Fairfax Hall, Leeds Beckett University, Leeds, LS6 3QS.
- submit the
article (with the agreed focus, format and word count) to email@example.com.
- If an expense claim form and an article (with the focus and
format agreed with Dr Claire Hitchings) are not received within four weeks of
the conference, recipients will not receive the grant and will be ineligible
for funding again.
- The payment of a grant is subject, at all times, to BASES being
satisfied that all these conditions are being complied with. Failure to do so
may result in grant entitlements being rescinded, and grant payments having to
be refunded to BASES.