What We Do
The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) is the professional body for sport and exercise sciences in the UK. Our mission is to drive excellence in sport and exercise sciences through the promotion of evidence-based practice and the development and enhancement of professional and ethical standards. We do this in a variety of ways:
- BASES membership gives individuals and organisations access to the largest network of sport and exercise science professionals in the UK, extensive professional development opportunities and exclusive member products and services
- We give members access to a range of online resources providing advice, guidance, research, debate and opinion covering a broad range of contemporary sport and exercise science topics
- Members receive four issues of BASES quarterly publication – The Sport and Exercise Scientist
- We offer a range of member discounts and offers on journals, books, courses and much more.
- We administer and award accreditations and certifications enabling professionals working in sport and exercise science to demonstrate to employers and clients that they possess the knowledge and skills to practice safely and effectively
- BASES Sport and Exercise Psychology Accreditation route (SEPAR) is a Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) approved independent training route for Sport and Exercise Psychologists and facilitates professional and skill development underpinned by supervised practice. Throughout their training, registrants (who can use the title Sport and Exercise Psychologist in Training: SEPiT) will acquire knowledge, skills, self-development and experience to a level of competence that confers their eligibility for registration with the HCPC as a Practitioner Psychologist.
- BASES Supervised Experience is a programme of professional development, skill acquisition and supervised practice available to BASES members to support their journey towards accreditation
- BASES Undergraduate Endorsement Scheme (BUES) quality assures degree courses, ensuring the provision of high quality education and training to sport and exercise science students
- Laboratory Accreditation enables organisations and institutions to provide clients with confidence in a laboratory’s physiological testing capability, leadership and governance.
Conferences and Events
- We host an annual conference and a student conference each year, enabling researchers to present their work and promoting the dissemination of cutting edge research and developments in sport and exercise science
- Our annual programme of workshops and webinars provide professionals working in sport and exercise science opportunities to engage in continuous professional development (CPD).
Research and Publications
- The Journal of Sports Sciences (JSS) is the official journal of BASES and is one of the most popular and well-respected academic journals in the field
- We publish Expert Statements and Position Stands providing evidence-based, authoritative guidance for professionals working in the field
- Research grants are offered to support early career researchers.
- Our partnerships with the English Institute of Sport, English Premier League and National Governing Bodies enable us to represent our members’ interests with employers and key industry stakeholders.