BASES Undergraduate Dissertation of the Year Award - deadline 30 Sept
6th September 2023
We are now accepting applications for the above award.
Number Offered: 1 each year
Target BASES Membership Categories: Student and Graduate
Application Closing Date: 30 September
Apply for this award: Click here to download the application form
Results Available: Within 10 weeks of the application closing date
Previous winners: Click here
Aim of the award
This award is given annually for an outstanding undergraduate sport and/or exercise sciences dissertation made by a BASES member who is a final year undergraduate. The prize is an expenses paid free communications presentation at the BASES Annual Student Conference. Expenses of up to £200 (to cover 1-day delegate fee and travel expenses) on proof of receipts will be awarded.
- The applicant must be a member of BASES.
- The applicant must be an undergraduate that graduates in this calendar year (1 January to 31 December) completing a sport and/or exercise sciences related dissertation.
- The submitted work must include analysis of primary or secondary date and cannot simply be a review of existing literature.
- Only one submission per department is permissible.
- Applications will be reviewed and judged on scientific merit, methodological rigour and standard of presentation.
- Applications not adhering to the award criteria will not be marked.
- The decision is final in all cases and no correspondence will be entered into.
- These awards will not be made in the absence of submissions of sufficient merit.
- The applicant’s project supervisor must submit 1 electronic copy of the completed application form to the BASES Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, by the closing date with the following statement:
I certify that the applicant meets the award criteria and this application is supported by the Head of Department and me.
- Attached to this e-mail should be a file containing the applicant’s name and a condensed version of the dissertation (Up to 1,500 words maximum for quantitative and 2,000 words maximum qualitative research reports and 1,500 words for mixed methods). Both word limits exclude the reference list at the end of the dissertation but include all other words in the document. No abstract is necessary. Submissions should be typed in Journal of Sports Sciences format.
- Each free communications presentation at the BASES Annual Student Conference will normally be limited to 10 minutes followed by 5 minutes of questions.