Apply to be the Chair of the BASES Accreditation Advisory Group
9th May 2022
BASES Accreditation is a professional standard, widely recognised by employers in the sport and exercise industry, which is awarded to individuals who have demonstrated they have the necessary knowledge, skills and experience to be safe and fit to practise as a sport and exercise scientist. BASES Accreditation demonstrates an applicant’s competence to provide services to client groups, based on an independent, peer-led review process, overseen by the BASES Accreditation Advisory Group (AG), which reports into the BASES Professional Standards Committee.
The role of Chair of the BASES Accreditation Advisory Group will become vacant in March 2023. In preparation for this, BASES is looking to recruit into this role by early-September 2022, to ensure the incoming Chair has the opportunity to observe the next Advisory Group meeting, which will be held in September 2022, and then work with the current Chair for a smooth hand-over, before fully leading the next Accreditation AG meeting in March 2023.
The key duties for the Accreditation AG Chair will include the following:
- To provide direction, support and coordination to the Accreditation Committee.
- Represent the work of the BASES Accreditation AG on the Professional Standards Committee.
- To chair the biannual Accreditation AG meetings usually in February/March and August/September.
- With fellow AG members, to review re-/accreditation applications and provide feedback against set criteria.
- With fellow AG members, to be responsible for maintaining and developing the reputation and profile of Supervised Experience (SE) and BASES Accreditation.
- To periodically determine whether the service meets members’ and end users’ expectations.
- To support the BASES Operational Team with any technical queries regarding the accreditation process, dealing with issues as and when they arise.
- To support the production of an Advisory Group report for inclusion in the BASES Annual Report
A full copy of the Job Description and Person Specification can be found here.
The Chair of the Accreditation Advisory Group receives 10 credits per tenure.
Applicants must be Professional members of BASES and currently hold BASES Accreditation. They must be familiar with the criteria required for BASES Accreditation and Supervised Experience. It would be desirable for the applicant to also hold Chartered Scientist status.
Please find the respective Advisory Group terms of reference here (Appendix AG7, pages 42-43, and Appendix SC10, pages 26-27).
The appointment of the role will be via a formal, open and transparent recruitment process, with the aim of attracting the widest range of the most suitable candidates from the BASES community. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion as part of our recruitment policies. We therefore encourage applications from the entire BASES community who meet the required criteria, but we particularly encourage applications from women, individuals from ethnically diverse communities, those who have a disability, or members of LGBTQ+ community. Please notify the Executive Director (email@example.com) if you require reasonable adjustments during the application process.
If you are interested in applying, then please submit your expression of interest (no longer than one page of A4) outlining how you will best represent this role. Please submit your expression of interest by 10 am on Monday 1 August 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mark this email as confidential and within the subject header, please include Accreditation Advisory Group Chair application. In the meantime, should you have any questions about the role, then please contact the current Accreditation AG chair, Dr Sarah Gilchrist FBASES (email@example.com).