Employer: HCA Healthcare UK
Salary: Up to £45,000
Contract Type: Full Time
About the facility
The Manchester Institute of Health and Performance (MIHP) is a world-class facility, combining modern diagnostic technology, sports medicine and education — all on one site. The facility was founded by Manchester City Council, Sport England and City Football Group, and is operated by HCA Healthcare UK. The partnership brings together leaders from elite sports, community sport, healthcare and local government to deliver cutting-edge facilities and access to leading consultants. We provide a wide range of diagnostic testing from blood tests to scanning procedures and specialist clinics. Our team works together to assess, refer and treat each individual condition or injury. Whether you're at the top of your game or want to improve your overall fitness, you can benefit from our expertise and the best that sports science offers.
The Performance Lead will work in collaboration with the General Manager / Matron to lead and deliver the performance laboratory service, taking responsibility for ensuring compliance and maintaining a high standard of service and care.
Taking the lead role to provide technical support, mentor and develop the Performance Lab Technicians in the Sport, Health and Exercise Science laboratories. They will be the point of contact and have responsibility for operating a dedicated patient and athlete’s provision. Management responsibility for a team of technical specialists, the Performance Lead will be responsible for understanding and examining performance challenges in order to respond to delivering innovative ways of improving sporting disciplines.
5 Day working week over 7 days, shifts patterns will vary - Salary up to £45,000 GBP
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the efficient running of the Sport, Health and Exercise Science laboratories
- Exceptional technical skills and capabilities within the field of Sports and Exercise Science
- Create tailored and bespoke solutions for niche markets to maximise performance revenue using appropriate revenue generators
- Cross collaborate with HCA facilities to share clinical pathways and services to extend and support revenue
- Oversee and be responsible for all Human Performance testing, program evaluation, and athlete performance: determine protocols; manage data, process data and interpret and prepare reports and results independently.
- Contribute to the education strategy to ensure MIHP deliver a holistic and consistent approach to learning for MIHP
- Be responsible for the laboratory area (equipment calibration, maintenance & repair, ordering supplies) and oversee equipment maintenance.
- Develop and activate the procurement of specialised equipment or processes for use in research and teaching.
- Responsible for maintaining relationships with equipment representations and corporate servicing departments
- Train University students and conduct laboratory classes alongside academic staff, building upon University relationships
- Oversea the data collection forms, spreadsheets, and flyers developed by the performance team to ensure a data collation database is used for audit purposes and feedback.
- Approve and be responsible for the departments standard operating procedures and risk assessments within the sport and exercise physiology laboratories and performance arenas
- Assist with testing methodology section for grant applications and support to applicant
- To be responsible for health & safety within the department, inclusive of hazardous and clinical waste streams
Skills and experience
- Msc or M.Phil in Sports Science or a related field.
- NEBOSH certificate or equivalent (desirable)
- Operational management experience in a laboratory setting is essential
- Exceptional technical skills with an excellent understanding of the principles of applied sports science and sports medicine
- Leadership and management experience in order to line manage supervisory and technical team members
- Strong organisational and office managerial skills
- Experience of conducting lab testing related to all Sports and Exerceise exercise testing is essential
- Highly motivated individual, with innovation and ability to work in an outstanding, excellent service.
- Exceptional communication across varied stakeholder groups in a broad range of performance settings and across cultures
- Strong understanding of the multi-disciplinary approach to performance support in elite sport
- CPR, Standard First Aid and AED required (or willingness to obtain within 90 days)
- Excellent I.T Skills and analytically skills
- Ability to work independently and manage own caseloads of activity, manage and motivate others
- Ability to support management teams with overall development of MIHP, ongoing promotion and business development.