- Being part of the largest sport and exercise sciences network in the UK
- Keep ahead of the field with leading edge BASES conferences and workshops
- A subscription to BASES' quarterly publication, The Sport and Exercise Scientist (Members living overseas have access to the on-line version only, available in the Member Area)
- Achieve nationally recognised accreditation as a sport and exercise scientist and be listed on the BASES Consultant Finder
- Accessing a Supervised Experience Scheme, which guides members towards accreditation
- Free attendance to BASES Division Days
- Accessing the Member Area of the website, which contains a PDF archive of The Sport and Exercise Scientist, and External Examiner Finder
- Free access to our Mobile Health app library where BASES Members can find high quality apps relevant to their field and also give their feedback
- 20 free articles produced by the Journal of Sports Sciences
- Save! Exclusive member discounts with great publishers like Human Kinetics, Routledge, Wiley Blackwell, Elsevier, Pearson, SAGE and Wolters Kluwer
- Receive up-to-date sport and exercise related news and information, plus information on regular job vacancies via the e-mail newsletter
- Opportunities for awards and international travel grants
- Preferential rates for professional indemnity cover
Listed below are membership benefits in full.
Network, exchange good practice, present research, explore collaboration opportunities and socialise at the BASES Conference and BASES Student Conference. Reduced delegate fees for BASES members.
Build your knowledge and learn about best practice at BASES Workshops. Benefit from other sport and exercise scientists’ experiences and expand personal networks. Exclusively for BASES members.
The Sport and Exercise Scientist
Keep up-to-date with news and information. The Sport and Exercise Scientist is free and packed with essential news of BASES activities and updates on the major issues in a full-colour, quarterly magazine-style publication.
An archive of all issues of The Sport and Exercise Scientist is available in the Member Area.
BASES Accreditation and Supervised Experience
Become a BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist through a nationally recognised quality assurance scheme. Accreditation is often an essential/ desirable job requirement. BASES also runs a Supervised Experience scheme, which guides members towards accreditation.
Get listed on our Consultant Finder, used regularly by organisations, national governing bodies, teams and coaches to locate BASES accredited sport and exercise scientists.
Awards and Grants
Awards, Grants and Scholarships.
Journal of Sports Sciences (JSS)
BASES members are entitled to a discounted Personal Rate subscription of 16 issues £70 (online access only) and £29 for student members (online access only) to the association’s peer reviewed Journal of Sports Sciences, which publishes articles of a high standard on various aspects of the sports sciences. JSS will no longer be doing print copies as part of the regular member rate and will be changing this to online only.
Members can download 20 free articles produced by the Journal of Sports Sciences
Please contact the T&F Societies team at email@example.com – telephone 020 7017 5543 to subscribe-Quote YJ04901W
Journal of Sports Sciences The official journal of BASES
Members can subscribe via the following link: http://www.tandfonline.com/rjsp
Published article in JSS - 5 credits, Member of the JSS Editorial/ Advisory Boards - 5 credits per year JSS Reviewer - 2 credits per article
Mobile App Reviews
Mobile apps play a huge role in supporting sports and exercise sciences. BASES members can now find relevant apps to their field, read reviews and become part of the panel of reviewers via Our Mobile Health.
Human Kinetics Discount
BASES Student Members receive 25% off all Human Kinetic books, videos and software: www.humankinetics.com All other BASES members receive 15% discount.
For information on how to claim your Human Kinetics discount click here
Routledge publishes both books and journals across key areas including sport science, sport medicine, sport coaching, physical activity and health and research methods in sport.
Simply visit www.routledge.com, select the title(s) you would like and enter the discount code BASES14 at the checkout; or email firstname.lastname@example.org, making reference to ‘15% discount through BASES. Membership number XXXX’.
Orders by post
Send to Gemma Walker, Routledge,, 2 Milton Park Square, Milton Park, Abingdon, OXON, OX14 4RN making reference to ‘15% discount through BASES. Membership number XXXX’
Members can receive 15% off Elsevier books, which includes imprints such as Churchill Livingstone, Saunders, Mosby, and Butterworth Heinemann: For information on how to claim your discount, click here
On-line orders: Ordering is easy: just click on the link and shop as normal. A 15% discount will be calculated at checkout.
Phone orders: Call customer services on 01865 474010 and quote the code M18C50
By post:Please send your order to the following address, quoting the code M18C5 to Elsevier Books Customer Services, Linacre House, Jordan Hill, Oxford OX2 8DP
KEEP UP with the latest advances in Sports Science. 20% Discount on all Sport Science titles!
From the Paralympic Movement to Patellofemoral Disorders Wiley-Blackwell has a title for you. Visit our dedicated Sport Science page by clicking here.
To claim your discount, simply quote code LIFE when ordering. Don't miss out. Browse, buy and save today!
Book Club discount from Pearson for BASES Members
25% discount for BASES Members on all Pearson Sports and Exercise Science Titles including free UK delivery.
Pearson and BASES have teamed up to offer a special discount to all BASES members.
To take advantage of this special offer click here
20% off all SAGE books for BASES Members!
To claim your discount visit www.uk.sagepub.com and quote the code which can be found in the Member Area
You can see a full list of our Sport & Exercise titles here
*The discount is not applicable to trade customers, and cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount offer.
Class Learning, representing Jones and Bartlett Learning in Europe, are offering all BASES Members a 20% discount on all their Sports Science titles. Either email email@example.com and quote EPBASES15 or simply visit www.classlearning.co.uk, selected the title (s) you would like to order and enter the discount code EPBASES15.
HAB International Ltd
20% discount to members on a range of our products for all fitness professional who are a member of a recognised sporting body, such as Bases. (Products like Sigma and Cardiosport Heart Rate Monitors, a range of Nissei Blood Pressure Monitors, POWERbreathe Inspiratory Muscle Trainers, Resistance Bands etc).
BASES members receive 20% discount on all Wolters Kluwer book titles!
Visit www.lww.co.uk and enter discount code MKBASES16 at the checkout to claim your discount.
Wolters Kluwer publishes leading titles such as McArdle’s Exercise Physiology, ACSM's Introduction to Exercise Science and ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. Don’t miss out!
Civil Liability Insurance
In today's litigious society your business is increasingly vulnerable to compensation claims from your customers and other members of the public.
For a small business, the consequences could be very serious, as claims often run into thousands of pounds. Towergate Professional Risks specialises in providing professional liability insurance to protect your business in the event of such a claim.
Choosing your level of cover:
The basic level of cover may be appropriate for members who are working with healthy individuals with no known medical condition. However if your work involves prescribing and advising about exercise to individuals with a known medical condition (e.g. cardiac rehabilitation, G.P. referral etc.) then you may need a higher level of cover. You are advised to consult with the insurance company if in doubt. Click here for further details.
The cover includes the following:
· Professional Indemnity - This relates to the advisory or therapeutic aspects of your work. If a client alleged that they had suffered a loss or injury as a result of you giving incorrect or inappropriate advice, this section of the policy would apply.
· Public Liability - This section relates to your liabilities for any loss or injury arising out of the non-advisory aspects of your work. For example, you might accidentally leave a briefcase lying around which a client could trip over, injuring themselves in the process.
· Products Liability - If as part of your job you sell or provide any products to your customers, this section of the policy will provide you with cover against any liability arising out of the use of your clients' use of the products.
· Libel & Slander - If you write articles for trade journals, magazines or websites, you could inadvertently make comments that another party considers to be defamatory against them. This section of the policy will cover you against any liability from this type of activity.
Arrange your cover online
You can now arrange and pay for insurance cover securely online. Visit our site to obtain a professional liability insurance quote. Arranging the cover takes just a matter of minutes and you can be insured instantly.
Or call for a quote today
Our website provides more information about Professional Liability Insurance If however, you'd prefer to speak to an adviser by telephone, our dedicated team are on hand to help and would be happy to discuss your needs and give you a quotation for your business.
We can be contacted on 0844 346 3307 (Lines open Mon - Fri, 8.30am – 5.30pm)
Sport and Exercise Physiology Testing Guidelines - Vol 1 Sport Testing / Vol 2 Exercise and Clinical Testing
Biomechanical Evaluation of Movement in Sport and Exercise
Discount for BASES members **
(Both purchased from Taylor and Francis - Tel 01235 400524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)